In the event of a spill which:
It involves the release of a type or quantity of a chemical that poses an immediate risk to health or it involves an uncontrolled fire or explosion:
Evacuate the building:
Call 911 and give details of the accident including location, types of hazardous materials involved, and whether there is personal injury. If the accident involves personal injury or chemical contamination, follow these steps:
1) Move the victim from the immediate area of fire, explosion, or spill (if this can be done without further injury to the victim or you).
2) Locate nearest emergency eyewash in shop. Remove any contaminated clothing from the victim and flush all areas of the body contacted by chemicals with copious amounts of water for 15 minutes.
3) Administer first aid as appropriate and seek medical attention.
In the event of a spill involving the release of a type or quantity of a chemical which does not pose an immediate risk to health and does not involve chemical contamination to the body:
1. Notify personnel and neighbors of the accident.
2. Isolate the area. Close doors and evacuate the immediate area if necessary.
3. Remove ignition sources and unplug nearby electrical equipment.
4. Establish exhaust ventilation. Vent vapors to outside of building only (open windows).
5. Locate spill kit.
6. Choose appropriate personal protective equipment (goggles, face shield, impervious gloves, lab coat, apron, etc.)
7. Confine and contain spill. Cover with appropriate absorbent material. Acid and base spills should be neutralized prior to cleanup. Sweep solid material into a plastic dust pan and place in a sealed 5 gallon container.
8. Wet mop spill area. Be sure to decontaminate broom, dustpan, etc. Put all contaminated items (gloves, clothing, etc.) into a sealed 5 gallon container or plastic bag. Bring all waste to the next Waste Open House.
SPECIAL EMERGENCY TREATMENT
1. Immediately flush with copious amounts of water under an emergency shower.
2. Remove all clothing while under the shower. Flush skin for 5 minutes.
3. Flush skin until medical personnel arrive.
4. Get medical attention immediately.
1. Immediately flush eyes with water with the eyewash for 15 minutes.
2. Get medical attention immediately.