- KEEP CALM.
- EVACUATE: all occupants from the room in which the fire has occurred.
- CLOSE THE DOORS AND WINDOWS and leave the room.
- PULL THE FIRE ALARM OR CALL THE FIRE DEPARTMENT. Tell them your exact location and the nature of the emergency.
- ONLY IF IT IS COMPLETELY SAFE TO DO SO, return to fight the fire with a fire extinguisher until the Fire Dept. arrives. (see FIRE EXTINGUISHERS)
- EVACUATE OCCUPANTS FROM THE ADJOINING AREA if there is any danger from spreading fire, smoke, fumes or extreme heat.
- Use a fire extinguisher only if it is completely safe to do so. If there is any danger at all from fire, smoke, fumes or extreme heat, LEAVE THE AREA IMMEDIATELY.
- Determine what type of fire you have and check the label on the extinguisher to make sure it is intended for your type of fire. Letters on the label indicate the type of fire it will fight:
- A = wood, cardboard, paper, cloth
- B = flammable liquids and gases
- C = electrical equipment
- D = metals
(Never use water on an electrical fire – water can cause a fatal shock.)
- Use the PASS system to put out the fire:
- Pull the pin or ring. Some units require releasing of a lock latch, pressing a puncture lever, or other motion.
- Aim the extinguisher nozzle at the base of the fire.
- Squeeze or press the handle.
- Sweep from side to side slowly at the base of the fire until it goes out.
- If the fire gets big, GET OUT! Close the door to slow the spread of the fire.
- Check to see that all fire exits, doorways, stairways, aisles and corridors are not obstructed or blocked at anytime.
- Make sure you know the location of all fire exits.
- Poor housekeeping is a fire breeder. Avoid all unnecessary accumulation of combustible debris.
- Regularly check all electrical cords and plugs for fraying or cracked wire insulation and fitness for use. OSHA prohibits the use of un grounded extension cords longer than 12 feet in office buildings.
- Store all flammable liquids, such as copy machine fluids, cleaning products, solvents, etc. according to instructions on label.
- Report fluorescent lights that give off a loud humming sound, as this may indicate a defective ballast.
- Turn off all coffeemakers and other personal electrical appliances when they are not in use. Check the plugs, cords and wiring on a regular basis to determine if they are in good condition.
- SMOKING IS PROHIBITED IN ALL BUILDINGS. When smoking outdoors, completely extinguish all smoking materials and place them in an ash tray or trash container.